Monday, June 04, 2007

Hondo Air Show





June 2nd, 2007

I hadn't been to an air show in a long time, and this one was a lot of fun. Lots of light aircraft, experimental homebuilt planes, and vintage military prop-driven planes. Jets are cool, but at the same time it's a rare treat seeing historic planes up close and actually flying.

And Apollo and early shuttle-era NASA Flight Director Gene Kranz was there. That alone made the trip worth it!









Photo with Gene Kranz. What was really great was that he took a lot of extra time after his presentation to talk with everyone
who had gathered for a picture.

Short bio on
  • Wikipedia











































  • And check out this sign along US 90 going through Hondo:




    All in all, a fun Saturday.

    2 comments:

    Hello_ said...

    Hi Simon, I saw the link to your blog of one of the mailing lists, Human Spaceflight I believe it was.

    I thought you might be interested in my blog AeroGo. It's at

    http://www.xanga.com/AeroGo

    It's good to see that Euguene Kranz is still going strong. I saw him speak to a bunch of us JSC co-ops probably 25 years ago.

    As far as I could tell he was the same back then, before Apollo 13 made him famous. I bet he never saw that coming!

    Gordon

    Simon said...

    Thanks for the comment! Yeah,it was great meeting Gene Kranz. I think Ed Harris did an excellent job playing him in the movie.

    Sorry to see that your site is no longer up.